(Bad?) Taste of St. Barths

Aipotu

SBH Insider
Was so looking forward to kicking of the Taste of St Barth's with a meal personally designed and prepared by Jean-George's last night at On The Rocks. Imagine our shock after being seated and ordering an expensive bottle of wine -- he was not there Thursday. Despite all the advertising, PR and promotion, the face of the entire event didn't show up for his own meal. It was too late to change to another restaurant, and the regular menu was fine, but I can not fathom the bait and switch.

When I return home, I plan to write to Jean-Georges personally and ask for an explanation. This was supposed to be our 25th anniversary dinner and we had hoped one to remember. Now we will, but for the wrong reason.

Fingers crossed for Gaiac tonight....

That sucks and on the face of it seems like a scam. Maybe his plane got delayed or some other last minute hiccup prevented him from being there. Though if that was the case, they should have told you.

If it's any consolation, had he been there he probably wouldn't have been cooking your food anyway. You weren't actually expecting a celebrity chef to lower himself by cooking a meal, were you?!?!!?

That sucks and on the face of it seems like a scam. Maybe his plane got delayed or some other last minute hiccup prevented him from being there. Though if that was the case, they should have told you.

If it's any consolation, had he been there he probably wouldn't have been cooking your food anyway. You weren't actually expecting a celebrity chef to lower himself by cooking a meal, were you?!?!!?
as Tom Colicchio once said when asked about cooking he said "I'm a chef not a cook"

BUMMER. I hope tonight's taste of SB at Toiny lives up to your expectations.

Happy anniversary Dave and Julie!

Was so looking forward to kicking of the Taste of St Barth's with a meal personally designed and prepared by Jean-George's last night at On The Rocks. Imagine our shock after being seated and ordering an expensive bottle of wine -- he was not there Thursday. Despite all the advertising, PR and promotion, the face of the entire event didn't show up for his own meal. It was too late to change to another restaurant, and the regular menu was fine, but I can not fathom the bait and switch.

When I return home, I plan to write to Jean-Georges personally and ask for an explanation. This was supposed to be our 25th anniversary dinner and we had hoped one to remember. Now we will, but for the wrong reason.

Fingers crossed for Gaiac tonight....

I think you were just off by a day - tonight is his first night.

taste-of-st-barth-menu.jpg

I spoke with Luc at Eden Rock today and he was profusively apologetic. He agrees that all the PR and web sites were misleading. He also apologized for not being clear with our concierge.

All of the chefs were on the island last night, but had their own meal (ironically?) at Do Brazil. It's a shame for people like us who were really looking forward to it, but we have tonight!

We just came back from the Taste of St Barth dinner at Le Gaiac. It was fantastic, and I know that David and Julie also enjoyed it. The place was packed as this also was the 60th anniversary celebration for Relais and Chateau. We'll have a complete write up on it in the morning.

Phil

Shame about the mix up but you can't blame a chef for not being where he wasn't expected to be... Aipotu: sorry to hear you were a night early but it was nice to finally meet you and I hope you enjoyed the Taste of St Barth experience at Le Toiny... did they serve that cake for dessert?

Oui, Ellen, they did serve the cake and it was delicious. Our table had both desserts and while the cake was very good, the chocolate/pistachio dome was the winner! Thank you, Amy, for sharing bites with me.

It all worked out in the end. We had a magical evening at Le Gaiac and a wonderful end to our trip. The waitresses were delightful, as was the new manager (I forgot her name, sadly!). And the beef, lobster and clam servings were extraordinary. The bubbly flowed nicely as well...