phone calls from US

Maureenm

SBH Insider
I have read the valuable info on phone calls but still confused. We are heading down to SBH the first week in November and will need to be available by cell phone.. If someone wants to call us, do they dial 011 590 and your area home area code and phone number. or do they dial 011 590 690 and then your area code and phone number. I;m thinking as this is an American phone that we don't need the 690.. Many thanks

If it is your US cellphone then they dial it just like they do when you're at home, 1-xxx-xxx-xxxx. Who is your carrier?

If your cell phone is US based, just have them dial as usual. If you have a local cell or SIM then the 011 590 690

Maureen,
You are going to want to contact Verizon and get an international plan activated. It's $5 per month and saves you 0.60 per minute on voice. Also discounts texts. You can get 100MB of data for $25. Otherwise it's over $20 per MB. If you don't want data be sure roaming is off.
The Verizon site has details and SBH is listed as an option.

mb

thanks MaryBeth...I really don't want to put one more cent in verizon's pocket for three people who never exceed their minutes. I think I will take a chance that there will be no emergencies and tell everyone to email, not text or call. I will turn off roaming for both voice and messaging.

A Skype numbers cost $60 a year. Cheaper to leave the phone on and take a call in emergency.

If you don't answer, there's no charge. Just look who's calling and then call back on the much cheaper local SIM or Skype.

I think if you leave your US Phone on here it roams and the charges mount up even if you don't answer... right? otherwise it wouldn't even ring as ATT and Verizon for example don't work here, you'd need to be roaming and connected to a local carrier... that's why I use Skype.. and even at $60 a year (i pay $30 by the way) it allows folks in the states call me for free... it's well worth it...

Ellen, you are right.

If one uses ATT it is always good to check the new plans. This one changed since I was in Africa and now offers discounted voice, text and data.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-10-30 at 12.52.39 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-10-30 at 12.52.39 PM.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 253
  • Screen Shot 2014-10-30 at 12.52.29 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-10-30 at 12.52.29 PM.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 254
I think if you leave your US Phone on here it roams and the charges mount up even if you don't answer... right? otherwise it wouldn't even ring as ATT and Verizon for example don't work here, you'd need to be roaming and connected to a local carrier...

I couldn't find any mention on AT&T's web site that you are charged for the roaming itself. If that happens, it would be the first time I ever heard of carrier charging for it. If anyone has a link to such a roaming charge, would be interested to see it.

Yes, you are charged for answering and making calls, receiving and sending texts, and obviously for data as http://www.att.com/travelguide/coverage/coverage_details.jsp?CIDL=1108&MNC=CING lists but there isn't a fee for actually roaming and not using the phone.

Roaming doesn't use the resources (that much), it simply instructs the network to tell the home carrier where your phone is located so that it can route the calls to you (just the network, not the actual cell tower). For outgoing calls/texts and data, only call charging records are sent to your home carrier.

This indicates, even though it is for voicemail, that attempt will be charged.

Q. How am I charged for voicemail calls while roaming internationally?
A. Voicemail calls are charged as follows:
When your device is on:

• Calls that you do not answer that are routed to the AT&T voicemail system will be charged as an international roaming incoming call to your device.
  • In addition, the foreign carrier's routing of that call to the AT&T voicemail system may generate an outgoing call charge from your device's location to the U.S.
  • These charges apply even if the caller disconnects from the voicemail system without leaving a message.
If your device is turned off or in flight mode and the wireless network is off:
  • When someone tries to call you, the call will go directly to your personal voicemail greeting.
  • Since the network does not try to deliver the call to you in a foreign country, there are no international roaming charges.
When receiving Visual Voicemail messages on your smartphone or Apple® iPhone®:
  • Visual Voicemail messages received when roaming outside of the U.S. will be charged at international roaming data rates, either at the international pay-per-use data rate or against your smartphone or iPhone international data package.

JEK's info is correct, you will be charged if you let your phone ring for more than 30 seconds (apx. time it takes to be routed to AT&T voicemail). Charges with fees were $2.89 for each unanswered call...

Forgot about that, I haven't used voicemail in 15 years (too lazy to check the calls). Voicemail is an answered call and there's an obvious charge as the voice channel will be opened. It's actually a feature of the call forwarding function so the possible charge also applies if you e.g. have delayed forwarding to your landline from the mobile phone.So assuming one doesn't have voicemail active (I think there's an ap^H^Hsetting for that), or simply presses the red button to deny the call, is that charged on AT&T? I still think it's not.