Christmas came early

JEK

Senior Insider
My new Retina 5K iMac arrived today. Took a couple of hours to migrate the Time Machine back-up from my MacBook Pro over to the new baby, but it started up great. The display is just amazingly great! 5 times more dense that 1080p and very fast.
IMG_4982.jpg

Next up is the new iPad Air 2. Along with being smaller and having the Touch ID, it appears to be a screaming fast machine.

[h=1]iPad Air 2 Up to 55% Faster Than iPhone 6, Up to 68% Faster Than iPad Air[/h]Tuesday October 21, 2014 1:50 pm PDT by Eric Slivka
A short time ago, we highlighted a new benchmark appearing to show an iPad Air 2 devicecarrying an A8X chip with a triple-core 1.5 GHz processor and 2 GB of RAM.

While we mentioned that the enhanced specs have led to huge performance gains compared to the A8 chip found in the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus, Primate Labs has now published a nice pair of charts showing just how dramatic this improvement really is, making the iPad Air 2 far and away the fastest iOS device ever.

The most striking improvement comes in the multi-score benchmarks, where the A8X with its three cores of processing power blows away the dual-core A8 found in the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus. As a result, the iPad Air 2 registers over 55 percent faster than the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus in the multi-core benchmark. Comparing iPad to iPad, the A8X in the iPad Air 2 measures 68 percent faster than the A7 in last year's iPad Air according to the multi-core benchmark.

ipad_air_2_geekbench_multi.jpg

The iPad Air 2 also sets new high scores in the single-core benchmarks thanks to the 1.5 GHz cores in the A8X, with much of the nearly 13 percent gain over the A8 coming from the 100 MHz speed improvement compared the 1.4 GHz cores found in the iPhone and 6 Plus. The iPad Air 2 of course also compares favorably to the original iPad Air, with single core scores up 23 percent.

ipad_air_2_geekbench_single.jpg

Related roundup: iPad Air 2

Congrats! Used Mac Pro now for sale cheaply? :)

I was about to order the 5k iMac as well but decided to postpone it. After we'll return home from Mozambique, we'll be there only couple of weeks before we'll hit the aluminium tube again. I'll order it when I can actually use it and spend the two weeks to sell the old iMac.

Which GPU did you choose? I was thinking about upgrading the CPU, 3rd party memory upgrade to 32G, and 512G or 1T SSD (probably the latter but I was a bit disappointed that it has only 2x PCIe for it, not 4x).

I was wondering if I could put rocks to the old iMac package, declare it for export, take it with me to Sydney, and return with a 5k iMac :) Macs are quite a bit cheaper in Sydney (or Hong Kong where they are the same as in the US) than in Europe, Apple is still using the old 1€ = 1$ exchange rate.

Laura wants to seize the Galaxy Tab S so I might have to fork some money for an iPad Air 2 for myself. Now that the bigger tablets are slimmer and lighter, I'm ready to move back. We've been travelling with the Nexus 7 now 6 weeks and it hasn't been used once.