No swimming in the beaches

SBHgirl

SBH Insider
From what I understand there are notices from the Colictivete only in French advising not to swim in the beaches till father notice. They are posted only in french at all the Tile signs on the beaches. My cousins and have many, advised me not to swim. One of them a nurse that works at the hospital said if I do, to wash down as soon as I got to the villa and that this was a precaution that the Colictivite was taking. If any one else has more info. regarding this matter please post.

Thanks,

Surprised there is nothing in Le News. In the US that is a common problem as the Storm drains overwhelm the sewage system. None of that on the Isle,

Nothing here either. image.jpg

SBH Girl is right. After the hurricane passed there were notices in Le News that all aquatic activities around the island were prohibited until further notice. When Ray asked about island conditions I looked for updates or follow-ups but saw none.

There was a notice posted in Le News on 10/15, which I mentioned here. It was in French, and I assumed that a mention here would be better than a cut-and-paste for the primarily English-speaking SBHOnline members.

There was a follow up notice in Le News within the last few days saying that lab tests had not yet returned.

And with the paltry tidal changes they experience there it's going to be hard to get that flushing action ( no pun intended ) they need to get rid of the bad stuff in a timely manner ....ironically what they need now is a good wind driven storm

there are two beaches, st. jean & public that will take much longer to get clean ( free of most bacteria) some of the other ones such as saline & flamands should be clean soon.

Isn't there a way the island could invest to clean the sewage before putting it into the ocean? Is all of the sewage from the island placed directly into the ocean right where we all swim and fish?

there are two beaches, st. jean & public that will take much longer to get clean ( free of most bacteria) some of the other ones such as saline & flamands should be clean soon.

I would think Lorient and the Cul de Sacs would be slower to recover as well but yes it makes sense that Flamand and Saline/Governeur would recover first

There are many sources of pollution after a hurricane, including debris, fuel and waste from the boats which were sunk, and yes, possibly some sewerage runoff.

The island has already invested in a waste treatment plant. Much of the road construction in Gustavia over the last year or so has been to install sewer mains.

The same swimming ban exists on St Martin.

It's actually a pretty common occurrence in coastal towns which lack a modern sewerage facility to have that happen....

It's actually a pretty common occurrence in coastal towns which lack a modern sewerage facility to have that happen....

Yep! A month or so ago, the swimming portion of the DC triathlon was canceled because high water levels in the Potomac River swamped the local sewage system

And here on the Cape lately we re seeing beach closesures when some of our now 20 thousand seals ( and climbing) congregate in an area and all poop in the water to the point where the fecal coliform count goes off the charts !!!!

. . . and, if Iremember correctly, the growing population of seals brings an increase in "great white" population. Is that right?

I'm currently in a hotel in a resort area. Looking down at the pool from my room, and the number of kids in the pool, I don't think that I'll be using it.