Hot peppers

andynap

Senior Insider
These get dried- jalapeño, hot lemon, ghost, habanero. I have a ton left for pickling- same group plus thai and cayenne.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    343.3 KB · Views: 228
We have Jolokia sauce in our frig. Like the Ghost, one tiny droplet and your mouth and throat are toast! Even a fire hydrant can not tame the heat!

Our experiment this SB weekend:

Texas-Style Chili

JULIA MOSKIN

Calling a dish "Texas Chili,” especially if you’re not a native of that state, is clearly asking for trouble. But this recipe of mine, refined over years of potlucks and Super Bowl parties, is too good to keep under wraps any longer. Its depth of flavor comes from using so many different chile types — fresh green jalapeños, earthy-sweet whole dried anchos, pure pasilla for heat, even mild, tangy canned green chiles — and makes this recipe stand out. It also has whole spices, unsweetened chocolate and dark beer that meld seamlessly into a brick-red sauce that naps the succulent meat. Those two perfect elements are all you taste. The meat can be cut into large chunks, or — more traditionally — thin slices, especially if you are using a tougher cut than chuck. Sirloin also makes good chili. If you have masa harina, the corn flour used to make tortillas, that will make the gravy even thicker, but it is not necessary. Like many vigorously spiced dishes, this one tastes even better a day or two after it is made and will hold its flavor well for at least a week.
Featured in: Texas Chili Makes A Welcome Guest.

Beef Chuck, Beer, Red Chile, Southwestern
111 ratings

INGREDIENTS

• 1​
    tablespoon whole cumin seeds
  • 1 ½​
    teaspoons whole coriander seeds
  • 4​
    pounds beef chuck roast or steak
  • 1​
    teaspoon salt, more to taste
  • 3​
    tablespoons vegetable oil, plus extra as needed
  • 1​
    large yellow or white onion, chopped, plus extra chopped onion for serving
  • 6​
    large garlic cloves, minced
  • 4 to 7​
    large fresh green jalapeños(depending on how much heat you like), stemmed, seeded and chopped
  • 3​
    tablespoons masa harina or 1 corn tortilla, torn into pieces (optional)
  • 2​
    tablespoons ground pure chile powder, such as pasilla, Chimayo or ancho
  • 1​
    tablespoon dried oregano
  • 1​
    (12-ounce) bottle Negra Modelo beer
  • 1​
    28-ounce can diced tomatoes, or 3 10-ounce cans Ro-Tel canned tomatoes with green chiles
  • 1​
    ounce unsweetened chocolate
  • 3​
    whole dried large red chiles, such as New Mexico or guajillo
  • Chopped fresh cilantro, for serving
  • Fritos or warmed flour tortillas, for serving
PREPARATION

• In a small heavy skillet, toast cumin and coriander seeds until fragrant. In a mortar and pestle, or in a coffee grinder, grind to a powder and set aside.
  • Meanwhile, roughly cut beef into 2-inch cubes, or slice it against the grain into pieces about 1/4-inch thick by 1 1/2 inches square. Sprinkle with salt.
  • In a large, heavy pot over high heat, heat oil until shimmering. Working in batches to avoid crowding the pan, brown the meat, turning occasionally until crusty. Adjust heat to prevent scorching. As it is cooked, remove the meat to drain on paper towels. Add more oil as needed for browning, but do not clean out the pot.
  • To the empty but crusty pot, add onion, garlic, jalapeños, masa harina or tortilla (if using), chile powder, cumin-coriander powder and oregano. Cook, stirring, until onion has softened, 5 to 10 minutes. Add meat, beer, tomatoes, chocolate, whole dried chiles and 1 quart water. Bring to a gentle simmer and simmer about 1 1/2 hours, or until meat is fork-tender. Remove the dried chiles. Taste and add salt if necessary.
  • Serve immediately or let cool and refrigerate. The chili tastes best one or two days after it is made.
  • Reheat over low heat if necessary and serve in bowls, sprinkled with chopped onion and cilantro. Add Fritos for crunch, or dip tortillas into the spicy gravy.

That recipe looks fine but I have a recipe I have been using for years that we both like. Chicken wings for us tomorrow.

I have experimented with assorted chilis but Kevin gave me one from a Boston resto that's a keeper....but I actually prefer the kind of pork green chili you get in New Mexico and Colorado over red chili

BILDNER'S CHILI

"Good chili, like chowder, gets better after a couple of days. We sell so much of this chili in our Boston stores it's a wonder Boston isn't famous for chili instead of baked beans. If you prefer, you can make this classic chili with strips of lean beef rather than ground beef."

3 medium onions, chopped into 1/2-inch dice
10 medium cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
4 pounds lean ground beef
6 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons corn flour (masa harina)
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon dried oregano
Salt and freshly ground pepper (to taste)
3 cans (3 ounces each) mild green chiles drained (or hot if you prefer your chili very spicy)
2 cans (16 ounces each) red kidney beans, drained
1 (1 pound 13 ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
1 cup beef broth
Click here to view: http://www.recipelink.com/msgbrd/board_14/2010/MAY/35189.html

Tomorrow.......

Nachos loaded with shredded BBQ chicken and stuff
18 pound turkey
big honking pork roast with a maple chipotle basting
scalloped potato casserole with mucho bacon and cheddar cheese and onions
No veggies ...it's not about eating healthy that day

1/4 keg of Sams Winter Brew
Jaegermeister for shots

wine not allowed

I will have a house full of football and basketball coaches and ski instructor bums

there wont be a crumb or drop left

fun times

So I gather you have never had a Hatch Chili

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hatch_chile

By the way, those who use canned beans and chilis and a bunch of different powdered spices are amateurs! The trick is to let the natural ingrediants do the work for you which is why I only use a variety of fresh peppers, onions and garlic. Oh ya, there is the secret ingredient............. chorizo!