I've played this game before.....

Karen

Senior Insider
Need input , please....So, going in July and normally book flights in November, but checking them out now. Prices are up from last year . Book now? Wait it out? last time I waited, prices continued to go up. Inclined to book it now. Would appreciate thoughts. Flying from Richmond, VA to SXM. Usually through Charlotte

We're struggling with same decision, traveling over Easter on United (leaving from Chicago to San Juan to STB via Tradewind). We got such a good deal last year, we keep waiting for prices to go down (should have booked months ago when we first looked). We're going to just book it now so we don't lose our preferred seats.

Correct, I avoid SXM when possible. Prompted by Karen's post, I'm now booked for November, with the exception of inter-island flights. I'll get those booked this morning.

Correct, I avoid SXM when possible. Prompted by Karen's post, I'm now booked for November, with the exception of inter-island flights. I'll get those booked this morning.
Oh my! I didn't mean to force you to book! Don't you feel better now that you did? Booked flights always make me happy :)

It's not as bad as it once was.. I kinda miss the old days... way more entertaining that's for sure. With carry on only, it's a breeze.

What is so distasteful about it? Is it the lounge area? The people?

Having always flown through SXM, I've found it damn near painless.

What am I missing?

Bart- you are not missing anything. We have been going thru SXM for 30 years and have never had a problem. If you have checked luggage the customs line leaving the island may be long depending on the season or day of the week but since I am on vacation who cares. There is a negative perception among a few.

The food options are the only thing I don't like about it and on occasion we have hit really bad lines at security. But a Carib always makes up for both. The staff there do tend to give you an "I don't care" stare if you have a question or problem but that rarely transpires into lack of service. But truly a pretty painless part of the adventure. I think the fear of missing the last flight to SBH or getting stuck overnight adds to the sense of stress traveling there but it's not my least favorite airport by any means.

I'm not sure I think San Juan is any nicer as airports go, but there is an Admiral's Club which is nice and going through immigration in San Juan at 11am after a nice Tradewind fight is a delight and saves a lot of time in New York or Philly for us...

Also the option of arriving late into SJU, spending the night and taking the early Tradewind flight. Great for those coming from the West Coast or on those ice and snow days.