Things that make you go hmmmmmmm.....

MIke R

Senior Insider
Like I ve been saying all along....smoke and mirrors

saw this in Trader Joes today,....made me laugh out loud......

...:triumphant:
image.jpg

Maybe the fish have dual citizenships.

in this particular fishes case it would be waaaaay more then dual .......the Pacific Northwest and George's bank provide the world with the vast majority of sole ......."Dover" included ....

More hmmmmmm ...

wait im confused..how is Dover Sole a Product of the USA ????????:tongue:
Could it be??????

oh say it ain't so:devillaugh:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 121
Good flounder ...

:up:

Shhhhhhh...we don't want to upset those who still believe....

its kinda like the whole Santa Claus thing....you have to be patient and allow self discovery to occur in its time

More info for those who care:

Dover sole

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dover sole refers to two species of flatfish:

• The common sole, Solea solea, found in European waters, the "Dover sole" of European cookery.
  • Microstomus pacificus, found in the northeastern Pacific and called "Dover sole" along the Pacific coast of America.

DOVER SOLE

sole_doverFNL_R_NB_Species.png
Microstomus pacificus

ALSO KNOWN AS:

• Sole
SOURCE:

• U.S. wild-caught from Alaska to California

OVERVIEW

overview.jpg
The Dover sole's coloring helps the fish camouflage itself on the muddy ocean floor.
LAUNCH GALLERY
Not to be confused with European Dover sole, Pacific Dover sole is not a true sole and is related more closely to flounder. A mild-tasting fish, Dover sole has been harvested off the West Coast since World War II. Today, most U.S.-caught Dover sole is harvested by trawlers over sandy, muddy bottoms off Oregon, California, and Washington. A small amount is also harvested in the Gulf of Alaska.
Since groundfish are often caught together, harvests of more abundant species such as Dover sole have been limited in order to rebuild the species that are still overfished. In early 2011, managers implemented a “catch share program” for the West Coast groundfish trawl fishery to address this issue. Under this program, managers divide the annual catch limit for the fishery into shares controlled by fishermen. Fishermen can catch their share whenever they want, allowing them the flexibility to better plan their season, fish during safer weather and when market prices for their catch are highest, and reduce bycatch of overfished species.

Go to Legal if you really want to be sure.I trust them. And Sand Bar and Santa Fe and Maya's :)

http://www.legalseafoods.com/index.cfm/page/dover-sole/cdid/22415/pid/44543

i would bet you large sums of money none of those four get sole from Dover on anything even remotely resembling a regular schedule ....for one no one catches them all year round ....and I know for fact Legals doesn't as. I know a few guys who sell them their sole....and stamp the box Dover sole......because they can...I also know the guy who sells George's Bank "Dover" sole to a certain French restaurant on Newbury street in Boston ....

And I will put a thousand bucks up to anyone who can eat aPacific sole, a George's Bank sole, and aDover sole .....all cooked the same way.......and correctly identify all three....one thousand bucks to anyone who can :cool:

Go for it......

And I will put a thousand bucks up to anyone who can eat aPacific sole, a George's Bank sole, and aDover sole .....all cooked the same way.......and correctly identify all three....one thousand bucks to anyone who can :cool:

Go for it......

Mike--and I'm being serious, here-----is that because all three are so very similar that it would be extremely difficult to tell the difference between them? And if so, then would it really matter what the label is---Pacific, Goergia Banks, or European? I grew up eating Sole very often (Pacific, I would guess, since we were in CA), and it's still my favorite fish....with Flounder coming in a very close second.

Katva....You got it......they are so similar it's just absolutely silly that people are so hung up on where it's from that restos have to play this labeling charade .....

and let me remind everyone restos have NO WAY to know for sure where their flsh are exactly coming from unless they are at the dock buying it .....lots of smoke and mirrors here .... worldwide