The Roosevelts: An Intimate History

katva

Senior Insider
This is a new miniseries by Ken Burns---- I've been fascinated by the Roosevelt family for many years, and was so looking forward to this. It is not disappointing me!! I'm hooked!

http://www.pbs.org/kenburns/films/the-roosevelts

I read The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt many years ago---- an excellent book which won a Pulitzer Prize, and also the National Book Award for Biography. The author was a client and close friend of my former boss-----I was thrilled to help with projects for him and his wife in DC and NY, and to be part of the launch of his book Theodore Rex at the Colony Club in NY. Fun times, and cemented my serious infatuation with the Roosevelt family. :up:

First episode was very well done, I thought . . . though, one kind of needs a "play book" to keep track of the various connections. I find it to be reminiscent of the "American Experience" series on The Rockefellers. The latter, however, was a much simpler story . . . totally linear and patriarchal -- the story of a clan that remains formidable into a seventh generation. The Roosevelts, by contrast, definitely shaped world history in a relatively short period, but seem not to have left progency with the talent or desire to perpetuate the family's legacy of leadership.

Excellent series. We DVRed it and finally got around to watching. Got so hooked we watched back to back over 2 days. Remarkable family.