Who serves Prime Beef?

stbartshopper

Senior Insider
As we all know one has to ignore the prices on the menu in SBH and think they are in $. I remember a friend who lived in London. To get over the sticker shock, he convinced his family to look at the sterling prices as $$, which worked, until the bills came. Anyway, looking at the beef prices at restaurants and butchers in the U.S., the prime beef commands a good premium. As I remember, no restaurant in SBH states they serve Prime Beef. Is that correct and if so, why is that, because with the prices, they could serve anything and do such as the Beluga for the Russians?

Wall House served Prime beef from Nebraska, but that restaurant is going in a different direction next season. M&P serves Certified Angus Beef, a trademark of the Angus Beef Association, but doesnt mention a USDA grade.

It is alleged that only 2% of all beef sold is "prime".

There seems to be a lot of "prime" beef available.

Something don't add up.

As we all know one has to ignore the prices on the menu in SBH and think they are in $. I remember a friend who lived in London. To get over the sticker shock, he convinced his family to look at the sterling prices as $$, which worked, until the bills came. Anyway, looking at the beef prices at restaurants and butchers in the U.S., the prime beef commands a good premium. As I remember, no restaurant in SBH states they serve Prime Beef. Is that correct and if so, why is that, because with the prices, they could serve anything and do such as the Beluga for the Russians?

Um, because it's a rock in the middle of the Caribbean Sea/Atlantic adjacent.

Yes SBH is a rock in the middle of a Sea. However they seem to have every other delicacy one can imagine from all over the world and Relais and Chateau and LVMH Hotels, Hermes and Louis Vuitton stores and more- why not Prime Beef?

Where does the beef to St. Barth come from? If it's not from the US, it doesn't follow the USDA ratings.

At the time that I asked, the Wall House beef was sourced from the US. Over the years, at various restaurants, I have been told that beef was sourced from Argentina and Canada as well.The Canada Prime grade is analogous to the USDA Prime grade. Although there are differences between the two, they both seem to apply to the top 2% of beef. I'm not familiar with grading standards in other countries.