New Details on the Hotel development in Flamands

. . . what's the line, something about "the times, they are a'changin'." I see it every trip to SBH, and I go often. The island isn't like "Colonial Williamsburg." It's a living, vibrant community . . . with local community and family goals and aspirations. My feeling is that some among us may choose not to continue to be part of the island visitor population as changes occur that we don't like . . . but, the local population is what determines its development.

I discreetly (I hope) express opinions to local folks, including well known opinion makers. Nonetheless, even with a substantial economic stake in the island, my toehold there is of little consequence compared to the importance of the roots of families whose ownership of land and other long-held interests -- economic & otherwise -- go back 400+ years.

Development of a new hotel in Flamands, thus, is -- in my opinion -- a local issue. Certainly one with respect to which each of us can comment. But, let's not lose sight of the fact that the "stake" of each of us in St. Barths is of small matter in comparison to the people who allow -- or can seek to block -- change in their neighborhoods and throughout the island.

I love St. Barths . . . its residents, climate, culture, vernacular architecture, beauty, serenity, humility, beaches, hills, and bad roads . . . and so much more that we, as visitors, have introduced to the island. Much as in life, however, I think that we're observers . . . when the time comes that any of us doesn't like it, then the right course is to strike out for another territory. Meanwhile -- and forgive any sense of lecturing -- it's not intended -- I seek to support local folks in their decision making.

On the other hand, I will say that I understand that Boca Loca really sucks . . . I tried to go there twice during my recent visit, but it was closed both times. Mercifully, I understand. It's a topic on which I feel able to competently express an opinion.

Beautifully stated, as usual, Dennis; and so long as the greater Flamands community, and not merely the lucky few sellers, supports, and also the zoning wasn't bent too much, then by all means . . . give the people what they want. It is or should be their right.

Furthermore, I propose and offer to sponsor lunch with you and Ellen on site in three years time (spouses included), so that we may revisit and reflect upon this together, over some fine rose at what will hopefully be an equally fine resort. I dearly love this beach and hope on its behalf for the best. The last Saturday in August or the first Saturday in November would be best for me.:)

Beautifully stated, as usual, Dennis; and so long as the greater Flamands community, and not merely the lucky few sellers, supports, and also the zoning wasn't bent too much, then by all means . . . give the people what they want. It is or should be their right.

Furthermore, I propose and offer to sponsor lunch with you and Ellen on site in three years time (spouses included), so that we may revisit and reflect upon this together, over some fine rose at what will hopefully be an equally fine resort. I dearly love this beach and hope on its behalf for the best. The last Saturday in August or the first Saturday in November would be best for me.:)

Dave, we'll take the lunch challenge, as our family lives at the far end of that beach, I hope that end of the neighborhood stays a little more "local"... but let's meet before then for lunch, it's been too long already...

Both dates work, Dave . . . I'm always there for the last week of August and like the first week of November. I can hardly wait!

Thank you, both. Let's not press ourselves to settle on which date just yet! It will be my responsibility not to forget, and I'll remind myself once the project is finished. And with any luck we can have a dress rehearsal sometime in the interim! We have no certain dates just yet for the next visit, but it's always on my mind, and so, soon we hope!

Nothing with certainty on this site yet, but speculation is the narrow, deep, undeveloped land along the west side of the driveway into Annie's.

The application is very specific

Screen Shot 2014-08-22 at 7.04.06 AM.jpg

yes, both sides of the road leading to the Baie des Anges... hotel on one side, parking and laundry on the other... they'll need parking for over 60 car at least with 46 rooms and staff (some of the staff will have scooters...)

The application is very specific

View attachment 26768
Tu chez!!

Note to self: try harder to remember you don't read French too terribly well.
Second note to self: learn to read French better, starting with definition of word cadastree.:culpability:
Third note to self: even before first note to self, ponder and then issue generous consideration to this JEK guy . . . and do so well before quickly clicking on Post Quick Reply.:)

PS -- Soya, evidently, the hotel is gonna be where Ellen said.

yes, both sides of the road leading to the Baie des Anges... hotel on one side, parking and laundry on the other... they'll need parking for over 60 car at least with 46 rooms and staff (some of the staff will have scooters...)
that's going to make an interesting situation for Annie and the restaurant

Dave,

The cadastreé reference translates to the official land registry, which details the location, ownership, boundaries, and perhaps the value of a piece of property. Think of AE 202 as the Lot Number in the official records.

Wikipedia has an entry for Cadastre : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadastre

Henry,

It will be similar to Ile de France and Hotel Taïwana, where IDF has property on both sides of the road leading to Taïwana.

Flamands looks to turn into a dining destination a la Saline. The guests who want to stay local can choose dining at Annie's, Taiwana, Cheval Blanc (IDF) and the newest hotel.

More of small well planned and well managed luxury hotels that are privately owned- no more than two story- the island reg.- is good for the island. Yes the road is narrow and it is not used a lot and yes parking will be a problem like at IDF and Le Taiwana but change is inevitable. We will have another nice restaurant to go to and maybe more fashion shows to enjoy!