New Details on the Hotel development in Flamands

stbartshopper

Senior Insider
True to the policy that bigger is not better, the Collectivité of Saint Barthelemy has approved the building permits for a new small scale luxury resort in Flamand, St. Barths.

The new luxury resort property will consist of 46 rooms. Whether it will be a four or a 5-star resort is yet to be determined by the Collectivité according to insiders on the know.

Apparently, the developer is Mr. Guillermo Pardo, a Venezuelan developer of luxury hotel properties. The Colectivité hopes that the property will bring more South American visitors to St. Barths. The property is 8000 square meters, which is roughly 86,000 square feet, making it just under two acres, and located along the road that leads to Hôtel Baie des Anges.

It is said that it will be the first time Guillermo Pardo of Luxury Scapes is moving into the hotel business in St. Barths and he will be the property developer while top hotelier, Hans Maissen, will be in charge of design.

Whatever the star rating of this new luxury resort in Flamand will be, it will defintely be good for business in terms of attracting new visitors from the South American content as the new owners plans to do a lot of promotion in South America (Venezuela and Brazil) to attract high-end guests to the resort.

Flamands is one heck of a hot spot since the sale of IdF and the rebirth of a new and friendlier Taiwana.

Does Venezuela have anyone left that would be a high end tourist? I thought Hugo ran them all out of the country

Sim (yes), on Copa Airlines, connecting through Panama City. GRU-PTY-SXM. Copa has helped to open travel to SXM and the surrounding islands for the South American market.

Henry . . . could it be the site of the former Baie des Flamands Hotel? In any event, I understand that the site, running from the road to the beach is quite narrow . . . meaning that it has very little beachfront.

The google map would seem to show that there's more vacant land on Flamands than one might think -

map.jpg

Isle de France(or whatever is its current name) is at the far end on the right.

The date of the map? I'm guessing within the last two years. in looking at the airport area, the parking lot across the street next to Marche U was in use, but it appears to be before the current improvements to that site.

As I know you know well, Ellen, that little road behind Flamands is quite charming, with the goats and the neighborhood boules, etc. It is effectively a dead end, so the level of use is finite. The traffic count of cars is light, not heavy. It feels still much like it was 15 years ago. But the impact of the volume of traffic on the road (now more likely to be widened?), and additional people and servers on the beach that will inevitably be associated with a hotel with a hundred guests and a dozens of employees, at the four star level, so they will do the airport picks and dropoffs, and taxi services, etc., will be too big, especially for the amount of beach frontage. In short, it's just an awfully large project in this otherwise small and idyllic enclave of St Barths. As I said, I hope I am wrong.

I agree, but the goats are long gone and its all local people who sold the land.. so while we may all be sorry to see the level of development there, they may not be... and don't forget there was a hotel on that beach before... it's a double-edged sword...