Le Tamarin no more? Please say it isn't so?

jbm595

SBH Member
We love Le Tamarin by Saline and try to visit when we come back each time. I don't see it listed in any of the island directories we picked up from the airport? I thought a few years ago Carole was taking it over and re-branding it? Did that every happen? It is such a unique spot and we were hoping to lunch there again after enjoying saline beach?

Sadly, Santa Fe our other fav next to a beach we love is closed until after Hurricane season.

Please let me know. :uncomfortableness:

Tamarin was being bulldozed and redeveloped in July. Major tear down and a sign that seemed to announce a residence to be built there.

Amy, this is so upsetting to me. Is there anything else like it? Are you on the island now or coming this week by chance?

Carole's tenure at Le Tamarin lasted for one season.

A few years ago I talked about the property with one prospective renter. In his opinion, the property required too much work to be viable, and the best solution would be to level it and start over. From Amy's post, it sounds like the property owners may have taken the "level it" idea to heart, but then gone in a non-restaurant direction.

The two restaurants in Saline that are open for lunch are Le Grain de Sel (more casual, creole menu) and L'Esprit de Jean Claude (more classic French and current, more upscale). L'Esprit should be open now, and I haven't seen a seasonal closing notice for Le a Grain de Sel either.

Neither of them are Le Tamarin, but both are worth at least stopping to take a look at the restaurant and read the menu. Both are interesting restaurants in their own right.

Sadly, I do not know if it is the lack of rain or the demolition that has taken a major toll on that gorgeous old tree. It looked weakened to my eye.

JBM-not back until end of October. Keep exploring and finding new places to love.

We will miss Le Tamarin as well with its leisurely afternoon lunches, the above ground pool, the little shops and especially the tree. Did you know Tamarind is an ingredient in both Worcestershire and HP sauces?

Tamarin was our most favorite spot since we started going to the island in 1985. The most sublime 3 hour 2 bottle of wine plus lunch ever.
So, so sorry to see it's demise from a bulldozer...

There is a post on Instagram with a picture of Tamarin by a graphic designer in St Barts that says "Best meeting ever @ Le Tamarin St Barth!"

There was a time when you would find many of the island's restaurant owners and chefs dining at Le Tamarin for Synday lunch. It was a nice crowd.

Tamarin restaurant will be back soon.

Apparently, Ana knows of what she speaks:

Screen Shot 2014-10-15 at 7.36.11 AM.png
From today's Le News