June 28 - July 19 2014 Trip Report

cplmsb

SBH Member
This was our 12th trip to St. Barth (since 1997). A cumulative 25 weeks on island over 17 years. Hopefully we can soon make that 3 months every year!

Our pictures:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cplmsb/sets/72157645959036182/

Benefits of a July trip -

1. Reservations not required at any restaurant
2. Weather was perfect
3. Beaches are [mostly] empty
4. No traffic
5. Wear what you want (or wear nothing) - no one to impress
6. Excellent store sales
7. Get whatever rental car you want
8. Celebrate July 4th AND Bastille Day
9. What is a celebrity?

Our favorites:
Villa Diaco - the BEST view, even if there are no amenities
Santa Fe - the best authentic french cuisine on the island, with the best chef and manager (Emmanuel Maurin)
Le Gaiac - still the best (and highest priced) 5 star cuisine with the best full moon view
Saline Beach - avoid the other 10 people on the beach by climbing over the rocks to the left
BMW convertible - look important even if there is NO cup holder for your morning rum+coke or gin+tonic
Le Sereno - the best sushi (till the sushi chef took a spill on his motorcycle the 2nd week in July)
La Creperie - the best breakfast with champagne
Tom Beach La Plage - the best breakfast with 300E champagne (Louis Roederer)

Nice! 'Tis all the same reasons I travel in July, too! Regarding #9: I did have an encounter with Harrison Ford one year in July.

GramChop - I think it was 2008 or 2009 we encountered David Letterman (heavily clothed) one afternoon running at Saline in the parking lot. He smiled...and ran away. I'm not sure if I would even recognize a celebrity today unless he reappeared from the Hollywood golden age or was a movie star in the 70's and 80's.

We have never thought about coming to SBH in July. It is peak weather in northern Michigan and we save our SBH time for the 'Ides' of February as we live in Indiana!

GramChop - I think it was 2008 or 2009 we encountered David Letterman (heavily clothed) one afternoon running at Saline in the parking lot. He smiled...and ran away. I'm not sure if I would even recognize a celebrity today unless he reappeared from the Hollywood golden age or was a movie star in the 70's and 80's.

I was surprised I recognized Harrison Ford, but we were put in a situation where we were face to face (in our passing vehicles going opposite directions) during a brief traffic jam on a very narrow road. I reached out to pull in my side mirror at the same time as him and he held up a high-five. I obliged, smiled and giggled like a school girl! It was cool.