Trip report July 8-22

BND

Senior Insider
Enjoyed a fabulous two weeks on the island, the first with good friends who shared our villa for the second year in a row. Went to Andy's for pizza and salads (and of course, rhum vanilla) the first night, as is our custom. The pizza is still superb--we never have it at home, but, hey, St Barth's is not a place for dieting! Bastille Day was spent at La Plage watching the scene, enjoying a good lunch salad with tuna and a nice bottle of rose--again followed by delicious rhum vanilla. (Did anyone else see the paddle board race there which was won by a pet rooster and his master? The rooster rode the entire race balanced between his master's feet. The two came to St Barth five months ago from France on the first leg of a solo trip around the world in a very heavy sailboat. Next leg will be through the Northwest Passage to Alaska!!!) Highlights of the second week included two long lunches at La Gloriette, where we were delighted to catch up with Sandra and little Noah and had more rhum vanilla, of course. Two of the best meals we had during our two weeks were at Le Grain de Sel. Their fish is fresh and their delicious simple salads are dressed with a light touch. One evening we had dinner at Santa Fe which was superb! Manu was gracious and accommodating as always. Of course, the forum's sunset wine and cheese was great--so wonderful to see so many people who have become good friends. Bill participated in Hafida's "insects as food" experience there; I demurred! Saw lots of old friends at the Anglican Church, but sadly no Charlie or Mandie. As for beaches, most days we hung out at Governeur and St. Jean, but squeezed in a breezy but fun catamaran trip to Columbier. So another year has gone by and we are home safe, sound, and a little sad that we must wait so long to return. For re-entry, we were just given the new JB St Somewhere CD. It helps!! Bill and Nancy

Nancy I so enjoyed this report and find it great to relive the island times we shared. The weeks flew by all too quickly, for sure.

Take care of each other and know that I am looking forward to SAME TIME NEXT YEAR with you and Bill

Thanks Amy. It's always fun to be with you and Phil. We hope there will be many more years of happy times on the island with you both.

Would like to hear a little more about the 'Scene' at La Plage on Bastille Day. It must have really been in full swing. We regret also when our two week dream in SBH is over and then have to wait until we return again. Were the iguanas around at Grain de Sel?

Thanks for the report, Bill and Nancy. I'm sorry to have missed y'all this year. Looking forward to 2015! ((hugs))

Would like to hear a little more about the 'Scene' at La Plage on Bastille Day. It must have really been in full swing. We regret also when our two week dream in SBH is over and then have to wait until we return again. Were the iguanas around at Grain de Sel?

I thought I answered this so I hope this post isn't redundant. Anyway, La Plage was pleasantly busy on Bastille Day. Good spots in front of the restaurant went fast and we were glad we claimed our 4 chairs and umbrella about 10:30. Champagne and rose was already flowing. Patrons were a nice mix of locals and tourists, the locals wandering from chair to chair, some with their little dogs and all beautifully dressed on the latest glitzy beachwear and giant feedbag-type bags. No special menu at the resto, but the food was delicious. The paddle boat races went on all day, flights being arranged roughly by age. Lots of kids with patriotic face paint running around. The vibe was very festive and people watching was especially good!!

At Le Grain de Sel an ancient iguana sauntered in during our last lunch there and was fed water and lettuce leaves by the staff. We were told that old iguanas are grey and young ones are sort of green. Who knew?

great report and good seeing you guys...and as Amy said "same time next year"...(and next time with Missy)

Henry--Good to see you and Carole. Before we know it, another year will have rolled around and we'll all be back on our favorite island. Glad to hear we will see you both--and wonderful Missy, too--next July!