July 23, 2014, Dinner at Le Sereno

phil62

Senior Insider
We headed to dinner at Le Sereno with Libby Troyer. We had not been there in quite a while and were hoping for the best! We were welcomed by Cookie, the house cat, and ushered to the expansive dining room that was breezy and quite comfortable even with the screens lowered. I am happy to report that many tables were occupied tonight. I am thinking about 30 guests were there-the biggest crowd we had dined with in ages!

Our starters were the Romaine salad with bacon and sliced fresh pear and some dried apricots, berries and pine nuts sprinkled with small chunks of roquefort cheesein a light vinaigrette dressing.

The soup of the day was butternut squash with a crunchy shrimp and croutons and a dollop of cream.
1-2014-07-241.jpg

I really enjoyed this lovely New Zealand rack of lamb. The thyme sauce, the eggplant chips, and array of fresh vegetables made for pretty plate that was pretty tasty too.
3-P1010133.jpg

The Black Angus prime beef was done to perfection and Phil was able to select frites and a Bernaise sauce to finish off his plate.
4-P1010134.jpg

Another special this night was the salmon in a pepper sauce with a medley of thin sliced vegetables and it was terrific.
5-P1010137.jpg

The fondant of chocolate with vanilla ice cream and the pana cotta with mango chutney over a mango pudding were wonderful meal ending desserts.
2-2014-07-24.jpg

I, too, like the setting, and I've often wondered how they keep the place open with so few diners.

Why would anyone need a busy dining room to enjoy a delicious meal? I can't imagine why anyone would WANT people to be around on vacation. I guess there's an ever growing group that feels the need to be seen spending money. It's absolutely more than acceptable to enjoy one of the best dining rooms in all of the Caribbean, especially unto yourself. It's a shame more 'tourists' don't make the trek over to GCdS to take in the real St Barth, rather than the Arubian atmosphere at the now 'expanded' ER. Times, how they are a changin'.

UES-It is great seeing other people dining there so that the management will continue to hire really good chefs and to serve really good food.

I am happy others have discovered this dining venue all the way over in Grand Cul de Sac!

Good to see that Phil is taking over the role (as prime beef tester) of Julien when we are not on the island.
The Angus looks.....aaahhhhh :)

I love the place and always find the food to be excellent. I'm glad, Amy & Phil, that you got there and enjoyed it. Rack of lamb looks especially tasty!

Why would anyone need a busy dining room to enjoy a delicious meal? I can't imagine why anyone would WANT people to be around on vacation. I guess there's an ever growing group that feels the need to be seen spending money. It's absolutely more than acceptable to enjoy one of the best dining rooms in all of the Caribbean, especially unto yourself. It's a shame more 'tourists' don't make the trek over to GCdS to take in the real St Barth, rather than the Arubian atmosphere at the now 'expanded' ER. Times, how they are a changin'.

This is one of the silliest posts I've read in awhile....a feat that is difficult to achieve when you consider the nonsense that gets posted down in the politics forum.

And this from a poster who choses the screen name "UpperEastSide".

BTW, my wife and I once did have the dining room of Le Sereno "unto ourselves". Pretty creepy to dine in a large space with no other diners while a team of 5 staffers stand 10 feet from your table staring at you and if you so much as raise an eyebrow, rush to the table to see what they can do for you.

Well said, Dennis. We've also been in Le Sereno's dining room when the place was all but empty. I don't need a crowd to enjoy my dining experience, but I also don't want the wait staff hovering because no one else is in the place.

This is one of the silliest posts I've read in awhile....a feat that is difficult to achieve when you consider the nonsense that gets posted down in the politics forum.

And this from a poster who choses the screen name "UpperEastSide".

BTW, my wife and I once did have the dining room of Le Sereno "unto ourselves". Pretty creepy to dine in a large space with no other diners while a team of 5 staffers stand 10 feet from your table staring at you and if you so much as raise an eyebrow, rush to the table to see what they can do for you.

It's creepy to dine in a large space with no other diners while a team of 5 staffers stand 10 feet from your table staring at you and if you so much as raise an eyebrow, rush to the table to see what they can do for you?

Sounds like my kind of heaven. What kind of dinner parties do you attend?

Also? UES, London, East Hampton, Litchfield, Austin hills. Better?

Whenever we have eaten at Le Sereno it is virtually empty- breezy, airy and hasn't always been the best. After the review from you Phil, it looks like we should return. The last time we went we met the owner who is from Venezuela. He was very proud of his hotel and as we lived there many years ago, it was fun to talk about his country in Spanish.

It's creepy to dine in a large space with no other diners while a team of 5 staffers stand 10 feet from your table staring at you and if you so much as raise an eyebrow, rush to the table to see what they can do for you?

Sounds like my kind of heaven. What kind of dinner parties do you attend?

Also? UES, London, East Hampton, Litchfield, Austin hills. Better?

The kind with other people.

Also, great list of cities. Gosh, you must be very wealthy.