The Long Wait

andynap

Senior Insider
Max, my first pet and feline son, has not been himself the past 2 weeks- no appetite, sleeping a lot and very thirsty although he always did drink a lot of water. He threw up his breakfast 2x this morning so that was enough for a visit to the vet who said that they wouldn't be able to get the lab work back until Tuesday so I should go the the Vet Referral Center- emergency vet service which I did. After blood work and urinalysis the partial verdict came down- diabetes. But his liver enzymes are high and he may have a kidney problem or not depending on tests after he is hydrated. At a minimum he will be getting 2 insulin shots daily and no more whipped cream at night.
So we will have to wait it out until tomorrow. He is 15 and pure breds don't last much longer than that but I'm selfish and want him here for a very long time.

Years ago our cat had a kidney problem. The medicine didn't help and the vet said that if it was her cat, she'd give the cat a smaller dose of human's medicine for a kidney issue (more expensive than the animal medicine). That did the trick and he lived many happy years -- but never went again to the sauna shower room where we used to force feed him during that episode (easy to wash the walls).

Always a tough time for pet owners. We can only hope that our human families will be as compassionate to us as we our to a feline and canine pals. Godspeed Max.

I should add that Max is Phyllis' cat too and he babysits her everyday when I am working. I hope he sleeps well at the Vet Hospjtal tonight.

So sorry to hear of your kitty's illness, Andy! I hope he lives in comfort for a good while. I had a cat years ago (before I developed allergies), who had diabetes. He lived many years comfortably with the right medicines.

I wish you well, Andy, and I do know what you are going through. We went through something similar with one of our two pomeranians a couple of years ago and it is no fun. Fortunately ours got through it and she is doing great. Hoping your feline son gets better soon.

thinking of you and Phyllis
cats are wonderful friends they are also part of the family
wishing him very fast recovery

Andy & Phyllis,
Best wishes for a speedy recovery for Max. As others have said, pets are an important part of the family. Hoping the vet finds something that will work for his diabetes.
Give him a pet for us!

mb

Rocky, our first Lab, had diabetes. Everybody, kids included, learned how to give him insulin shots. It's manageable.
Good luck with Max.

The long wait is longer. Sugar is down but not the kidney labs. CT scan scheduled. Won't know until later. He still isn't eating.