The Morgan Sails Again

T3

SBH Insider
The Charles W Morgan, a 113 foot whaleship built in 1841 that has long been a docked attraction in Mystic, is completing sea trials off New London before making her up way up the New England coast - next stop is in Newport next week ...

CWM.jpg

More information about the journey on the Mystic Seaport site

[h=1]Restoring the Charles W. Morgan[/h] Charles W. Morgan in the Henry B. duPont Preservation Shipyard after she was hauled out of the Mystic River in November, 2008." height="444" width="315">The Charles W. Morgan in the Henry B. duPont Preservation Shipyard after she was hauled out of the Mystic River in November, 2008.

The restoration of the Charles W. Morgan began on November 1, 2008 when she was hauled out of the water in the Henry B. duPont Preservation Shipyard at Mystic Seaport. The focus of this project was to address her structure below the waterline, much of which dates to her original construction in 1841. Records indicate her topsides have been rebuilt four times, the first instance in the 1880s and the last in the 1980s. Exposure to fresh water from rain encourages rot, whereas salt water acts as a preservative. Thus, the lower hull has not needed comprehensive attention until now.
Once hauled, the first months were taken up with documentation, surveying, and adjusting the shape of the hull. Following that period, the interior or ceiling planks in the hold were removed to expose the frames to enable access for replacement and restoration. Each frame is made up of a series of 5-foot-long sections called futtocks pegged and spiked together. Once work on the frames was complete, the ceiling planks were replaced, and then the exterior planking was addressed. In addition, the ship’s bow and transom required substantial rebuilding.
The wood used on the Morgan was primarily live oak, white oak, longleaf pine, and black locust for fastening pegs (called trunnels).
The restoration philosophy was to replace as little as possible. The guiding standard was whether the part in question could have a service life of 50 years. Those pieces needing replacement were carefully removed, thoroughly documented, and stored for future study. Mystic Seaport estimates 15-18 percent of the ship’s fabric now dates to 1841, including her keel, the floor timbers on the bottom of the hull, and some of the lower planking.
Throughout the restoration, Shipyard staff provided updates on the project’s progress.

[h=3]Morgan Facts[/h]
  • The ship is 113-feet long
  • 27-feet wide
  • Displaces 300 tons
  • Rigged as a bark
  • 280 frame futtocks were replaced
  • 70 new ceiling planks
  • 168 new hull planks
  • 22 states have contributed materials or expertise to the restoration
  • She was built in in just 9 months in 1841. The current restoration will run over five years when complete in 2014.

and I hear she is going to be right next to my boat in the harbor so great pictures will be forthcoming

Gannon and Benjamin Shipyard in Vineyard Haven built one of the whaleboats for the restoration. Nat Benjamin's schooner, Charlotte, was one of the many boats to welcome the Morgan this afternoon. We were lucky enough to spend a week in Colombier aboard Charlotte a few years ago, when we took Johnny Hoy and the Blue Fish sailing. They were playing at Baz Bar that week. Also the week I met Tim and his lovely wife in Gustavia.

I guess I'll be gone when she arrives in Boston. What a beautiful job of restoration! There's always Old Ironsides, but I don't think she can sail right now.

I'm not sure if she sails, but...the Bermuda Race starts Friday! Fun to see the start, and the Inn at Castle Hill is a great spot to watch it from. An hour or so from Boston.

Great to be able to see these old ships in action.

What is a thrill for me is seeing the full sail MALTESE FALCON come around a point or emerge from behind a hill-that takes my breath away every time.

What an amazing job of restoration. Lotta work.
Yes, pix please. U gonna try and get on board, Miker?

She ll be in Provincetown tomorrow .....no room in the inner harbor so she will be anchored right outside the harbor ..,,, pictures to follow

... not quite enough water inside P'town's breakwater for the Morgan's draft ... good SW breeze expected for the trip tomorrow but light winds predicted for the Friday and Saturday trips to Stellwagen; on Sunday, the winds look more promising ...

It's been wailing out of the SW for days.....20 to 30 as I write this from my mooring .....getting bounced around a bit even in the inner harbor

we could handle her draft in here .... The problem is the Kalmar Nyckel is also due in and the high speed ferries need a lot of space

Morgan takes about 15' ... so even without negative tides Saturday and Sunday, it could be dicey at the Kalmar Nyckel's usual spot on MacMillan ...

I think she d be fine .....I m only 100 feet from there and I m never in less than 15 feet .... But better safe than sorry I suppose...