Time for a new TV

JEK

Senior Insider
Is it time for ultra high definition TV? Ultra HD sets have four times as many pixels as the industry-standard high definition. http://on.wsj.com/1l7vlK4

10268649_10152422396888128_3313712691896795010_n.jpg

I wouldn't upgrade right now but if I was buying a new TV, 4K would make sense as the prices have come down dramatically. The price drop has been really fast.

The biggest problem with 4K is that there's very little to watch at the new high resolution yet.

They had one hooked up at the Wired Mag pop up store here last Dec. Probably running Blu Ray.
Absolutely astonishing pic quality...but not worth it to me.

Is "videophile" a word yet?

There is no question Ultra High Def is better than HD. However it is best to wait until UHD can be sold in an OLED (organic light emitting diode) configuration. We have had OLED from Sony for over 7 years now and the picture is stunning. It is a 7" screen and at the time cost $2500. We bought floor models from the Sony store for half the price and love them. Sony stopped marketing them because the public did not purchase many due we guess to the price. The cost for UHD has come way down but nothing or very little is being sold, broadcast or marketed in UHD so why buy it if you can not watch anything in UHD? The ultimate will be UHD OLED in 3D which may never come. 3D is just not taking off, probably due to the necessary accouterments- glasses etc.

OLED is simply beautiful. Hard to imagine so stunning colours.

If money is no objection, LG's 77" 4K OLED should be available around this time for $30k

$30 K is too rich for my blood but glad to see an OLED 4K is coming out! Hopefully the prices for these will soon come down out of 'la la' land!

Apple hasn't come up with anything recently so I had to spend my money on Samsung.

The old tv was a bit small after shuffling the (little) furniture around and had to get one of these new 65" curved UHD things. With the amount we watch TV, pretty stupid thing to do but it's such a beautiful thing. The prices have come down really nicely and there was some additional discounts as they are shutting down the consumer electronics chain.

Apple doesn't really do 4K displays apart from a few models, so the only source for 4K video is Netflix (the deal included a 6 month subscription). The 2014 Samsung comes with HDMI 2.0 and HEVC codec support so it should be reasonably future proof for a few years, and they use external "One Connect" device for the inputs that, in theory, can be upgraded (they did Evolution Kit for the 2012 & 2013 models). It's not a 10-year investment anyway and I've waited already a decade for the OLED..

PS. We haven't had a sofa since January 2013 (sold it with the house) -- send my offer to the store yesterday as well so perhaps we'll get one.

Take a trip to Costco and you will see the difference. But right now I have only seen this in the really big screens staring at 55 inch and up for about $2500.oo. I wish they would get down into the 30 & 40 inch sizes,

Samsung does 40" and Philips does 42". There are plenty of choices for 28-30" 4K computer displays (they all have HDMI) if you don't need the internal tuners. Dell does 24" 4K display as well. Like with all the LCD's out there, there's a correlation between the price and the quality.

I'd like to dump my 27" iMac and replace it with a 4K display and a Mac that can drive it -- but only Mac Pro and 15" Macbook Pro retina can do it and I don't want either, and the 4K support on OS X is still quite buggy.

I just don't see the value, literally and figuratively...

Hell, I won't even spring the $1-$2 upcharge to rent HD online or frm time warner or dish...LOL

I just don't see the value, literally and figuratively...

Hell, I won't even spring the $1-$2 upcharge to rent HD online or frm time warner or dish...LOL

It's a bit like Apple's retina. Doesn't really make a difference but looks more beautiful. The biggest real reason to update this late-2009 iMac would be USB3.

There was very little sense in this UHD purchase :) Perhaps I can justify it by the gains on Apple and Nokia stock the recent days.