Over/Under Colombier Hike 50 Minute Challenge

tim

JEK and I hereby challenge fit readers to make the hike/climb shown as number 8 (Upper and Lower Colombier Beach Hike) in the thread, https://www.sbhonline.com/forums/showthread.php/80443-St-Barts-Hiking-amp-Walks The first two(and only the first two) readers who report making the trek in 50 minutes or less will cause your humble moderators to donate 100 Euros apiece to St. Barth Essentiel. The trek must start where the challenger parks his/her car and finish at the same spot. Those challengers not making the 50 minute cutoff are encouraged to donate a like sum to this worthwhile organization.

One can contribute to St. Barth Essentiel at this address, http://stbarthessentiel.fr/en/contribute/

All participants agree to be solely responsible for any injuries suffered while participating in this challenge.

Enjoy the view, but don't tarry -

col.jpg

Empty beach early in the morn -

fla.jpg

This is your right turn to head up the steep road(alley) to Colombier

Flamands Alley.jpg

No right turn, straight up from here -

mhg.jpg

I might rather stay and watch the sea turtles. Life is too short to hurry. We must stop and smell the flowers on the way!

Chip,

Up the trail and down the alley doesn't count for "THE CHALLENGE," but if you can do the up down, you can probably do the down up. Nice to hear from you again:)

I'm IN! But I'm sure others will beat me to the challenge…. I don't get there until July 13…. I never knew about that cut off past La Langhouste! We always continue on the very steep road all the way to Columbe Bakery (take a croissant and coffee break) and continue on the road back to our Villa. We are at Villa Haute Maison and take the walk down to Columbier and right back up…. I think to REVERSE the walk would be the killer! Thanks for the info on the other hikes and great to see you all!!

Nane,

I'm not sure others will beat you to attempt "THE CHALLENGE." My post has been sitting up there for four months, and I have received no word of success or failure. As a fitness instructor, I'm sure you can beat my time; just be careful not to get hurt. We'll look forward to making our contributions to St. Barth Essentiel.

Tim, old knees like big steps up more than big steps down.....the trail IIRC has big steps down, while on the road they can be as small as you want......I'll just have to start a counter-clockwise version lol

How??? Bike? Scooter? Run?? Jog???

i have tried twice this week and about slid down Columbier --- really??? 50 minutes????

I will not give up-- trying tomorrow morning 6:00 a.m. Now that I found the cut through--

Can I start up at the top of Columbier (next to VHM) and finish there, same loop?
any advise?? You are in some kind of great shape Mr. Moderator!!

I'm not familiar with VHM; please tell me where it is. I don't think that the location of the start/finish matters as long as one does the entire loop. I'm more of a bicyclist than I am runner, but there was some jogging involved in achieving my time for the Over/Under. Please be careful; sliding down to Colombier is not allowed.

I really like the descent on the steep road down to Flamands by bike, as long as it's not wet. I took a bet one time to ride my bike up from Flamands to Colombier against the traffic, and even though I was in great condition at the time, it's one of the four stupidest things I've ever done on a bike. I'll never try that again.

Villa haute Maison. Starting up at the top of Columbier hike. Are you kidding me? You have a bike here??? I'm just an old woman on very old tennis shoes.... I will track it by Mapmyride so I have proof. :)

48:37

I DID IT!!!!!!!! :tongue:

And I will never do that again.!!!
started out a little later and the sun almost did me in-- that and the darn short cut road---I walked backwards and sideways up it and knew I had lost the challenge at that point-- didn't check my time until I could see the finish line and when I saw how close I was, jogged the last hill.

I had my mapmyride tracking me on my cellphone and will download it once I get in the states and email to you. I also took a finish line selfie (not attractive) that shows just how hard I worked! Will try to get that on the forum.

Cooling down the rest of the morning and then treating myself and a friend to Eden Rock Lunch!

Thanks for the great challenge!!!!

Congratulations! That's quite an accomplishment. I know the route, and would never attempt the challenge.