One Way Car Rental in Europe

katva

Senior Insider
We are in the process of planning a trip, and we will be renting a car, picking up and dropping off at different locations in Europe. I have found great rates (under $ 1000.00 for 22 days, with insurance and no deductible (no excess), but the agency says that there may be additional fees for the one-way service---with no idea of what those fees are, I'm confused. Does anyone have experience doing a one-way car rental in Europe---are the extra fees prohibitive? Thanks!!

Do you know where you are dropping the car off? Otherwise they can't tell you the fees. You could probably do a test search online with one way instead of return.

Check with the major rental companies like Europcar, Avis, Hertz, etc. If there is an up charge for dropping off in a different location, that should be specified and part of your contract. I would not accept an open ended deal like that because they could basically charge you any amount they want when you drop off the car, and you will have no recourse. A reputable company will give you a total cost, including any drop off charges. Also, if you can drive a stick shift, you can save a bundle.

Phil

Yes, this is for a manual VW Polo, the 2nd least expensive (I learned to drive on a manual VW in Germany). Picking up in Bordeaux, dropping off in Munich...that's what I put in, and it still came back with a notice that there "may be additional fees", etc....and that I would have the option to cancel at that point. This is with Europecar. I'll look at Avis, etc. I didn't see on the Hertz site that a one-way in Europe was an option.....

We are in the process of planning a trip, and we will be renting a car, picking up and dropping off at different locations in Europe. I have found great rates (under $ 1000.00 for 22 days, with insurance and no deductible (no excess), but the agency says that there may be additional fees for the one-way service---with no idea of what those fees are, I'm confused. Does anyone have experience doing a one-way car rental in Europe---are the extra fees prohibitive? Thanks!!
I would use AmEx to set this up and you will have recourse and better answers to your questions.

Thanks JEK---- I have a friend whose partner is an AMEX travel agent. I may have him do the arrangements. Now why didn't I think of that! I guess I'm so used to doing it myself.

I was weighing renting the car for the whole trip vs part, and taking trains and/or flying for part of it. I like the idea of the flexibility of having a car the entire time, though, if it's not cost-prohibitive.

I just call the travel department -- Platinium and above -- and they book all the details. In Europe they can get you rail passes, hotels daily tours etc. I've used them all over the world.

ah ha! I thought you meant using an AMEX agent....OK, that works too! Right, so AMEX insures the rental if using their card. I had forgotten that whole discussion from up above....

I just had time to look on the Avis site...the one-way fee effectively triples the price of their economy cars! That answers my question.....now just have to decide.

Thanks George! Great rates---- a BMW for the same price I would get an economy VW for. I wasn't able to enter different locations for pick-up and drop-off, though. I think we have decided to do a loop, anyways, starting and ending in Bordeaux...... I really appreciate this recommendation!

hmmm. Yes, I did, but it wouldn't let me populate the return with anything else but Bordeaux.....trying again!

OK, got it! WOW----what a price difference from the other sites! A BMW with a one-way rate is still only a couple hundred dollars more than the economy VW as a rt. Well under $ 1k..... THANKS!!! This will be it....:up::up::up: Question: JEK may know this if you don't.....This includes third-party insurance (but not additional insurances). If we book with Amex Platinum, will the Amex insurance be voided if we have the included third-party insurance here?

Dig a little deeper into the website. Many of the European Rental companies offer full insurance with Zero Deductible for $5-10/day additional. JEK would know which is better, but I think you're right about the AMEX coverage being voided. That's why I think you would be better of with the Zero Deductible option if it is offered at a reasonable price.

Phil

Thanks, Phil. They don't offer a zero-deductible, but if I add the CDW and a smaller deductible (E. 600), it adds around $ 18.00 / day. The standard deductible is E. 1200, and is included with the CDW at $ 12.00 +/day......Still, comes to around $ 1100, which I consider a deal! I'll follow up with Amex to see how it would work using their card.... All of this at Avis and Europcar, with an economy car, came to around $ 2100....

Great, thanks JEK---at only $ 25 for the entire period, that's a deal also! It does not, however, cover liability.....but I'm not really sure if the car rental place's insurance covers liability either....it doesn't say specifically.

...or is "third-party insurance" liability insurance, in which case it's included with the rental, and Amex doesn't offer it, so it may not cancel out. I'll call.