Lots of early season whales around....

MIke R

Senior Insider
approximately one fifth of the entire right whale population is in Cape Cod Bay right now....

100 endangered right whales feeding in Cape Cod Bay

14683096-mmmain.jpg

By The Associated Press
on April 11, 2014 at 10:29 PM

PROVINCETOWN — The Center for Coastal Studies reports that a large cluster of endangered right whales is feeding in Cape Cod Bay.
The Provincetown-based nonprofit group reported Friday that about 100 whales are concentrated near the western shore of Cape Cod Bay and near the entrance to the Cape Cod Canal. The animals are feeding below the surface of the water and aren't easily visible to boaters. The center advises that the animals are vulnerable to collisions with ships and asks that boaters take precautions.
Charles "Stormy" Mayo, senior scientist with the center, called the whale cluster "an exceptional concentration of an extremely rare animal."
The North Atlantic right whale population is about 500

Now that is something to behold-100 whales in a pod, YIKES.

Amy that number is impressive for April but in the summer that number goes up significantly as more and different species of whales show up to eat..I have seen dozens and dozens of whales as far as I can look 360 degrees around me at times

Darn- we are there for 2 weeks every feb. on Pte Milou and have never had the pleasure of seeing them from our villa. Where around the island are they usually seen from?

Darn- we are there for 2 weeks every feb. on Pte Milou and have never had the pleasure of seeing them from our villa. Where around the island are they usually seen from?
a couple of things here

first off...there are not that many whales around St Barts..most are north up on the Silver Banks off the D.R....the few you see there are mainly traveling through...next is you really have to know what you are looking for as the spout of a humpback whale is stout and bushy on the water, not really tall and high in the air like other whales.....and most of their bodies are in the water..all you are going to see is a dorsal fin and a back and maybe a tail, and you will only see a tail if they are deep diving, other wise they just sort of sink down into the water....they have no interest in being close to shore either so forget that...they are going to be further off in deep water..a good pair of binocs would be helpful here

yeah I read that on Stormy Mayos son s Facebook page....crazy stuff....but it happens....we had blue whales for a few summers too but never again....and Orcas too