Robertas in Brooklyn

MIke R

Senior Insider
good friend of mines son has done himself well....by way of sous chef @ Bubula's in PTown where it all started for him

gonna check it out next month

Restaurant Review: Roberta's

Tuesday, April 15, 2014, by Ryan Sutton

13847440093_7dfa3625eb_b.jpg
[All photos by Daniel Krieger]
Artisanal everything has become somewhat of a Brooklyn stereotype, the stuff of gentle mockery in Simon Rich stories and episodes of HBO's Girls. I no longer ask if the Kool-Aid is locally-powdered and house-diluted when dining out, because I know it is and that the waitstaff is drinking gallons of it. So it's with a certain skepticism that I encountered the house-made duck prosciutto at Roberta's. And then I tried it. It's good — very good.
Actually, strike that. Not since Dr. Seuss unveiled Green Eggs and Ham half a century ago has there been such a compelling expression of American charcuterie. I'll go even further, Sutton-I-Am. Roberta's duck ham is one of the world's great luxury goods. It has more depth of flavor than Italy's famed Prosciutto di Parma and it's the closest thing we have to Spain's Jamon Iberico de Bellota, an appetizer that can fetch $36 or more elsewhere.
Roberta's asks just $13 for this paper-thin product. Each slice is two-thirds flesh, one-third fat, and it looks like what would happen if you flattened a candy cane with a rolling pin. The white cap melts like ice cream in the mouth while the lean meat sports a mineral tang as complex as Minetta's Tavern's strip steak. Chew, then inhale. This is the musky bouquet of game. This is the perfume of a chophouse. This is the terroir of New York.
RobertasBKEddieMurphy.jpg
This is the perfume of a chophouse. This is the terroir of New York.​
Roberta's is six years old; I've been eating my way through the menu for about half that time. And over the past year this underdog has steadily been transforming itself from a very good Italian-American joint and pizza parlor into one of New York's most quintessential kitchens.
It's a place I send out-of-towners because the vegetables are as refined as at a high-end French spot, and because the $13 pastrami sandwich is better (and $3 cheaper) than Katz's. The trick is a light smoke (so it doesn't taste like barbecue), a gentle cure (so you can actually tell that it's beef), a subdued peppering (this is New York not Sichuan Province), and a thick cut (to prove how tender the pastrami really is).
Put that on marble rye and there's your lunch for two days straight.
Such carnivorous jiu-jitsu occurs under the supervision of chef Carlo Mirarchi. He rides a fixed gear bike to work (of course). He wears a mustache (why not?).
He runs sister spot Blanca next door, a 25-course, $700-for-two tasting menu spot with a Michelin star (no Groupons accepted).
At Roberta's, by contrast, virtually every dish is under $20. In an era when the prices at stripped-down, budget-gourmet restaurants sometimes approach those at gussied up fine dining joints, Roberta's deserves credit for keeping things reasonable. The margherita pizza tastes like it should — a tightrope balance of tangy tomatoes, mozzarella, and basil. But here, at $12, it boasts one of the city's lowest prices. Just keep in mind that Roberta's isn't quite Daniel.
13847440185_9282475c8f_b.jpg

13847425815_bd82aeeca7_b.jpg

13847800284_6bf9252274_b.jpg

RobertasBKgirl.jpg

Walk inside and you'll encounter a drawing of a woman's barely-covered posterior ("nice buns"), Mexican Christmas lights, a fire-breathing pizza oven, and an ode to the amorous cowboys in "Brokeback Mountain," painted in "pizza face."
There's also a rooftop garden, a pastry case, a bathroom mirror with so many stickers it's no longer a mirror, a defaced Dyson hand dryer, a sound system playing Metallica's "Master of Puppets," an outdoor tiki bar that's light on tiki cocktails, communal benches without backs, bar stools with backs, wine glasses with proper stems (you thought they'd use tumblers?), skinny men drinking fat tallboys (Negro Modelo), a fully functioning radio studio inside a shipping container (long story), a kitchen that's smaller than your studio apartment, bartenders who know to check your ID if you're ordering $4 cans of Bud, and a television showing the big game. Should God or Guy Fieri ever decide to rid our world of life and taste with a tsunami of burning taco grease, Roberta's would make a heck of an arc.
The bad news is that not everyone can fit on this hip Bushwick ship.
RobertasBkbar.jpg

Waits can stretch well past two hours on the weekend, though lucky diners might be able to shave an hour or more off that queue by jonesing for seats at the bar. That's where you'll find me and my crew on a Saturday, knocking back some Kolsch Lager ($6), watching the Yankees beat up on the Sox, and checking out the squid situation. Rest assured, the situation is strong. Mirarchi grills his calamari, the firm tofu of the sea, and uses it as a neutral whiteboard for a Meyer lemon sauce that's more perfume and pepper than acid. Right on.
Is Roberta's serving tartare as a special? Order it. The kitchen dices up aged Wagyu and gently heats the meat to bring out its sexy locker room funk. No capers or mustard get in the way, just sweet meat with a firm black pepper bite. Fold up the meat into a nasturtium leaf and there's your Korean-lettuce wrap, Brooklyn style.
RobertasBKOctopus.jpg

RobertasBKbloodsausage.jpg
Octopus with cabbage; Pumpkin with boudin noir
More so than in years past, protein-light dishes can make up three quarters of the starters on any given night. And on those nights you'll eat very well. Little bits of octopus dot a larger plate of cabbage like maritime orecchiette, imparting some umami roundness to the leaves.
Blood sausage is crumbled on top of pumpkin that's as soft as soufflé, adding a restrained sweetness to the vegetal squash. And grilled mussels provide a savory backbone to a pile of roasted carrots with carrot puree and lime, a dish so indulgent (yet balanced) you could pour it into a pie crust and call it dessert. Perhaps this is the influence of Nick Barker, the chef de cuisine who cut his teeth at Manresa in Los Gatos, California, where this style of "vegetables seasoned with meat" is a way of life.
Torchetti with garlic, clams, and parsley serves as the backdrop for one of the city's best bivalve pasta dishes.​
Pastas are nimble mid-courses. Toasted-flour spaghetti with fiore sardo cheese and black olives tastes like what would happen if you served Japanese soba in Italy, which is to say something brilliant. Agnolloti, meanwhile, are stuffed with something unexpected — blu di bufala, little bombs of funk and acid. And torchetti with garlic, clams, and parsley serves as the backdrop for one of the city's best bivalve pasta dishes (Esca and The Elm are up there too).
RobertasBKburger.jpg
The lunch-only burger packs more flavors than most steaks around town.
Pigtail lasagna is not a mid-course — it's a $16 calorie assault that feeds three. Imagine the flavors of a regular lasagna, replaced by ricotta as rich as pot de crème and a chewy, gelatinous bolognese. It's an outstanding creation occasionally offered as a lunch special. The burger is a midday-only item as well, which is too bad because it packs more flavor than most steaks around town.
RobertasBKpizzaoven.jpg

RobertasBKAxlRosenberg.jpg
Axl Rosenberg pizza
Mirarchi says that it's increasingly rare for guests to come in and order only pizza, but pies account for about 60 percent of the Roberta's food orders by volume. There's a good reason for that: the pizza is a stunning New York-Neapolitan hybrid, without that soupy center beloved by Italians and a handful of my Antonin Scalia pizza-originalist friends. To achieve this, chef Lauren Calhoun partially drains her mozz, uses a thinner crust than others, and goes easy on the olive oil. The result is a pie with very little droopiness or crust tip.
Entrees can trend weak at times — a softer than usual skate here, a forgettable flank steak there. But they're never enough to detract from the greatness of the meal. And smart guests will order the large-format steak whenever it's offered, as it's proof that American Wagyu can hold its own against the Australian stuff. The pan-roasted, Imperial-brand strip is charred brown on the outside and as red as tuna within. It cuts with the tenderness of a filet and and exudes more funk than a George Clinton concert. And unlike lesser cuts, the sweet livery musk continues throughout the chew, rather than disappearing after the first bite. It's one of our country's great steaks, and at $160, it better be.
RobertasBKWagyu.jpg
Wagyu flank steak
Roberta's, like a 24-hour New York diner, tries to be the affordable jack of all trades.​
Samantha Short's desserts, like the rest of the menu, both sate the palate while challenging it. There are soft almond tarts with yuzu sorbet (like crack profiteroles) and knobs of chocolate cake with kaffir lime ice cream. They are serious creations, and Roberta's should give them more recognition by putting the sweets menu online like everything else.
Pastas, steaks, salads, vegetables, sandwiches, pizzas, and pastries: Roberta's, like a 24-hour New York diner, tries to be the affordable jack of all trades. And it succeeds. So finish off with a shot of Montenegro amaro and make room for the next guy. He's been waiting a while.

yeah you re right...Im hoping my connections will take care of that...:cool:

looks like a really cool place

BTW....Front Street opening Mothers Day weekend this year!...and the girls and I are delivering the boat that weekend....perfecto!

For the benefit of "Roberta" -- not to mention SBH Onliners -- it is so very nice of you to post this review, Mike . . . and such a wonderful review. i always see close friends in Brooklyn when I'm in NY, so we've added it to "the list" of local eateries. I love to see promotion of emerging talent . . . it means a lot to everyone on the giving & receiving sides of the business!

Roberta's isn't too far from where we live. Its one of those love it or hate it kind of places. Strikes very strong reactions in people. Some find it too precious while others think its not refined enough. The trend for a lot of the newer places in Brooklyn is to not take reservations except for large groups. So when you show up for dinner on a Friday night, you need to be prepared to wait. A lot of the places don't have a spot to wait at so we just give them a mobile number and head off to a close by bar and wait for the text that says the table is ready. You trade off convenience for a much lower price point for high quality food. I also like the energy of these places. If you are in the area, you really should try it.

good to know...I have family in Bensonhurst and Sheepshead Bay and I may be that way next month.... and if so I will for sure try it..I havent seen the chef since he was in high school ...

Its one of those love it or hate it kind of places. Strikes very strong reactions in people. Some find it too precious while others think its not refined enough.

"Precious" meaning affected, I assume?

"Not refined enough" referring to the hipsterish, not-quite-beau-monde patronage?