April 1, lunch at Tiawana

LindaP

Senior Insider
We arrived around, 10:30, and were given beach chairs , front row, with towels and excellent service.
We had lunch @ 1:30, with a delicious tomato mozzarella starter, and Bill had the shrimp .....whereas I decided to have a huge grilled lobster :)
The waiters, and staff could not have been nicer, and friendlier .....it was a memorable , delicious lunch .
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

WE have never gone to Taiwana after reading past stories of very high prices without the value. We dined at IDF for lunch and wandered over to Taiwana and were pleasantly surprised. The investment made over there is significant. The restaurant looks lovely as well as the lobby, work out room and gift shops. After reading your report, we will put it on our list for our next visit. Thank you for sharing.

I went there yesterday, the food was very good, prices are way to expensive. 35 euros for a hamburger and fries is off the charts for me. I had a mixed salad for 22 euros and a tiny little pizza (I cannot stress how small this personal size pizza was) for 15 euros, and the pizza was really just ok, a margarita pizza, no other toppings offered.

one friend had the chicken salad, she said it was good. the other two had the burger and fries combo.

the atmosphere was nice, a lot of the tables were occupied. I shall not return as the bill for four of us was (225 euros for lunch!)that included 2 bottles of water at ten euros apiece, and 2 beers. they also added a tip line into the bill which we all ignored. we always leave something, but adding a place for a tip is not a good idea on a french island. we always pay by check, so no worries.

I would have warned you off of the burger, which I tried exactly once. Perhaps it has improved, but I found it dry, without enough fat content for flavor. I usually have the steamed Mahi filet, which has been perfectly cooked every time.

Pricing in all of the top beachfront hotels is on the high side, but I think that the average main course price is not all that different between hotels. A quick check of three online menus shows the average main course price at Taïwana as being just under Sand Bar, and a few € higher than Indigo at Le Guanahani. (Le Chris and Le Sereno don't show prices on the menus on their websites.) Where always I get myself in trouble is not with the menu, but with my pillaging of the wine list...

I haven't seen the tip thing at Taïwana, but I too would be annoyed by it.

We had lunch there a few weeks ago. Food was very good. What really ran up the bill was the cocktails and couple of bottles of wine. The setting is gorgeous. Very south beach vibe, but in a good way. I think 90% of the guests when we were there were from NYC like us.

A friend uses the phrase "vacation money" to refer to cost/value and who cares attitude when you travel. Definitely applies to us....I would likely not pay $48 for a hamburger in Pittsburgh but while travelling.. I can't get worked up about it. However, it is pricey, especially if its not good. The famed Black Label burger at the Minetta Tavern in NYC is a mere $28 by comparison. Fries are extra :tongue:

Diane, since you live there I don't blame you for not going back, especially with that tip issue.

to each his own..and the infamous "vacation euphoria/money" that we take full advantage of as resort retailers is going to eventually pay for our daughters college and fund my retirement - so far be it from me to judge :eagerness:...

that being said, give me a lunch of Proscuitto and Melon, tuna sushi I prepare from the local fishermen catch, a baguette, assorted cheeses, pates, and assorted olives, along with a bottle or three of Rose, all enjoyed on the privacy of our patio, right over the water - and we are in absolute Heaven

Taiwana does a great job at lunch. The service, food and ambiance are all outstanding. Very hard for me to put a cost/value number on a meal when I see something as beautiful as Linda's last picture. :)