Barbados

markantigua

SBH Member
Flew into Barbados this am on Liat. On time as well. I was on one of their new aircraft, ATR 72-600. They seat 68 persons, very comfortable too. Anyway I clicked my camera of some of the coastline when we were making our final approach. Enjoy. !!

Regards
Mark

Just been watching the ladies on Stall #3 at the fish market in Bridgetown fillet the flying fish, they do it so quickly and precise.

Regards
Mark

My first experience with fish there was dining on flying fish! Of course, had never heard of it but back then, they were fifty cents for 6-12 depending on the catch that day. (my how times have changed!). We rented a house that had an awesome cook/housekeeper included. She would go to the fish market every day, we would give her cash and she would purchase and prepare all the local fish along with any fresh vegetables available. But the flying fish were the very best, butterflied, battered in a to die for coating, and deep fried. I still have cravings for those!!! A friend we traveled with even looked into possibly importing them into the US but ultimately, it was not a logical business opportunity back then.

Fish Fry at Oistins.

Had a great night there on Friday evening, fun evening with great food and entertainment.

Some great fresh mahi mahi from the grill.

One on the many menus from the various vendors.

Pats Place seemed to be the most popular haunt for food, although everyone looked good imho, we had quite a wait to get served but it was worth the effort.

The menu from Pats Place in bajan dollars, half it for USD.

Regards
Mark

The Bay Tavern, situated in Martin's Bay in the parish of St. John. This place was superb, great local cuisine with wonderful whole fried fresh red snapper, the fisherman were actually bringing them in straight from the boat cleaned and gutted ready for cooking, served with local provisions. Plenty of locals with a few tourists in, I guess they got lost when they found this place ???

The Bay Tavern.

My very gracious hosts, Louis and Rosie.

The Bay tavern from the beach.

A couple of views of the beach below the restaurant.

Fresh Red Snapper cleaned and gutted and just delivered to the kitchen.

3 fried whole red snappers, first with sweet potato cake.

Second with buttered cassava.

Third with breadfruit and saltfish pie.

While we were there the famous British celebrity chef Ainsley Harriott was filming a dish he had made for his new tv show in the UK, doing a world wide tour of food from around the world. He came over to me and introduced him self and asked me if I heard the football (soccer) results from the UK and we chewed the fat for 10 minutes or so. Nice guy very pleasant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ainsley_Harriott

Regards
Mark.

This was one of our favorite areas to visit...so beautiful and we always found it amazing just how many churches there were on the island.

This was one of our favorite areas to visit...so beautiful and we always found it amazing just how many churches there were on the island.

Yes churches all over the island. This one in The St. Lawrence Gap intrigued me, as straight after the church on strip was bar after bar after bar and restaurants with this beautiful church at the start of the strip with a gorgeous sea view from it's car park.

With views from it's car park.

More churches to follow.

Regards
Mark

Some more churches.

The St. John Parish Church, really beautiful stone work again with great views of the countryside and the sea in the distance.
It was also the final resting place of the then Prime Minister of Barbados who sadly passed away while still in office at the age of 49.
I had the pleasure of meeting his sister and passing by her home for a drink with friends. Very gracious.

Regards
Mark.