UNBROKEN

amyb

Senior Insider
Boy were you guys right-This book by Laura Hillenbrand, remember SEABISCUT?, was fantastic.

What an ordeal and what a great story. We follow the career of an Olympic runner, Louie Zamperini from high school thru his captivity as a prisoner of war in Japan.

How these cruel b******s were not able to break this man amazed me. What a will. What inner strength!

The whole ordeal angered me no end. What a price our soldiers, sailors, and airmen paid after being captured by an enemy who totally disregarded the rules of War and the Geneva Convention.

That Louie survives the prisons, and the horrors of flashbacks and the demons he encountered in alcohol makes for a powerful story. It

Hillenbrand put me through the wringer, but I am glad I listened to your recommendations and picked up this remarkable tale.

Amazing, inspirational story. I read this during our 2011 trip to St. Barth and I could not put it down.

This book is one of the most inspiring biographies ever! I just want to meet this man. I love the story about him running right off the train as a tyke. Can't imagine being his mom. God gave that man an extra amount of gumption, he obviously needed it.

He did most of the book tour on behalf of the Author who is housebound due to health reason. In his 90's now. This is a must read and a great story of forgiveness. Won't give is away either!

Louie Z wrote an autobio years ago that I read before reading Laura's book. I knew his story but still enjoyed her rendition of his life. In your review of it you wrote that he survived prisons, flashbacks, and alcohol. That gives away some of the story. There seems to be only one subject that people are afraid to mention. I won't give it away but it does baffle me.

Hi Dgirl-I will let myself mention things already revealed in the flyleaf or on the covers. Otherwise, I let folks discover the joys in reading and discovering on their own

Louie Z is speaking in Fredericksburg, Texas tomorrow evening. Unfortunately, I am not able to go hear him but my CEO is going. I'll keep you posted on his responses. I can only imagine how awe-inspiring it would be to meet such a God-loving hero such as Loius Zamperini.

Nice interview of Lou Zamparini this morning on Sunday Morning. Hillenbrand never met him while doing the book because she has Chronic fatigue syndrome and doesn't leave the house.

amyb said:
I'll watch for your report, Missy

My CEO said meeting Louie Z was one of the highlights of his life. He said he's never met a man so strong in his faith. He never once spoke derogatorily about any of the people who 'challenged' him. He said, "when challenged you are given the joy of being able to pray for them...it's a win-win." Wow.

I wish I had had the opportunity to see him myself. I sometimes need to be reminded of some of the simplest of life's instructions.

My wife has been suggesting the book since she read it for book club a few years ago. I finally listened to her and she became estranged for a few days as I immersed myself in Louie. I emerged late, late last night. We have become reacquainted.

We were just discussing this man and his ordeal at work yesterday. A colleague saw an interview rebroadcast on Sunday-she now understands why I was so impressed with his life!

I am glad the author got to meet him in person, as she is pretty much housebound due to ailments she is battling. Quite the writer and quite the man.

amyb said:
We were just discussing this man and his ordeal at work yesterday. A colleague saw an interview rebroadcast on Sunday-she now understands why I was so impressed with his life!

I am glad the author got to meet him in person, as she is pretty much housebound due to ailments she is battling. Quite the writer and quite the man.

Amy- did you see my post??